FCC Announces New Director of Athletics
Frederick Community College has named Larry D. Johnston as its new Director of Athletics, effective September 7, 2021.
In this role, Johnston will provide vision and leadership for the planning, implementation, management, supervision, and evaluation of the FCC athletics program.
“We were extremely impressed with both the extensive collegiate athletic experience and the academic philosophy that Larry Johnston brings to his professional roles,” said Dr. Thomas H. Powell, interim president of FCC. “We are thrilled to welcome him to FCC as our new Director of Athletics. We know Larry will positively impact the lives of all our student athletes as they work to reach their academic and athletic goals.”
Johnston most recently served as commissioner of the Texas Trinity League in San Antonio, TX.
Prior to that, he served as:
- Athletic Director of the Texas Christian Athletic League
- Interim Athletic Director and Dean of Students and Faculty at the Sterling Classical School (TX)
- Associate Dean of Exercise Science, Health & Athletics at Santa Ana College (CA)
- Athletic Director/Physical Education Instructor at Los Angeles Harbor College (CA)
- Athletic Enhancement Coordinator at Spencer Hospital (IA)
- Athletic Director at Union Rescue Mission (CA)
- Strength and Conditioning Coach at the University of Southern California
Johnston is a former college athlete himself. While at Azusa Pacific University, he was a five-time academic All-American and won an NAIA national championship in track and field. He was also a state champion and an Olympic trials qualifier in the hammer throw competition.
Johnston earned an associate degree from Antelope Valley College, a Bachelor of Arts in physical education from Azusa Pacific University, and a Master’s of Science in kinesiology from California State University, Fullerton.
Rodney Bennett Named FCC Athletic Academic Advisor
In other athletics news, FCC is pleased to announce that Rodney Bennett, longtime FCC Head Baseball Coach and former Director of Athletics, will serve in the new position of FCC Athletic Academic Advisor, effective September 7, 2021.
In this role, Rodney will be responsible for mentoring all of FCC’s students who are engaged in athletic programs. He will help those students successfully complete their degree programs and assist them with transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
For more information on FCC Athletics, click here