FCC Named Winner of 2016 Diversity and Inclusion Award
Frederick Community College will receive the 2016 Diversity and Inclusion Award from the Frederick County Society for Human Resource Management (FCSHRM).
Each year, the FCSHRM Diversity and Inclusion Award recognizes one small and one mid to large company or organization for demonstrating a commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace through efforts in recruiting, training, mentoring, community outreach, and in additional areas. FCC is the 2016 winner in the mid to large organization category, while Konare Law is the small organization award winner.
“We are honored that FCC is being recognized with this significant award and we thank FCSHRM for highlighting the importance of diversity and inclusion in our community,” said Shezwae Fleming, Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. “Diversity and inclusion is everyone’s business, and this award signifies to our students and employees that it takes a community to make inclusion possible. We will continue our good work of ensuring that FCC is a place that values and encourages contributions from all. ”
FCC has a history of developing and promoting key diversity programs and events. This year, FCC has implemented several new initiatives that have led to an even greater culture of diversity and inclusion among the campus community. These initiatives include:
- Mandatory unconscious bias training for all members of any search committee to reduce bias in the recruitment process
- Revisions of policies and procedures including Title IX: Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures and the Non-Discrimination Policy and Procedures to be more equitable
- Development and delivery of on-going diversity/cultural competency workshops that address cross cultural communication, supporting LGBTQIA students/employees, stereotypes and bias, and intercultural development
- Increased multicultural programs and events for the campus and broader community, including Global Fest/International Week, Latino Festival, and Campus Book Discussion series
- Development of an on-campus service learning initiative to explore and improve community issues around poverty and food access that led to the donation of nearly 900 items to the Frederick Rescue Mission.
FCC President Elizabeth Burmaster will accept the award on behalf of the College during the annual FCSHRM Conference on May 19 in Frederick.