News

Federal Grant Will Help FCC Continue Its Commitment to Students Who Are Parents

10/31/2018

Frederick Community College will receive a grant worth more than $164,000 over four years from the U.S. Department of Education Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) Program.
 
This program supports the participation of low-income parents in postsecondary education through the provision of campus-based child care services. Student parents who are accepted into the program will receive a voucher for child care services at the Carl and Norma Miller Children’s Center at FCC.
 
“Studies have shown the many positive outcomes that occur when a parent earns a college education, including higher rates of employment, increased financial well-being, and better outcomes for their children,” FCC President Elizabeth Burmaster said. “We are grateful to the U.S. Department of Education for this grant, which will help FCC continue its commitment to helping our students who are parents overcome educational barriers and increase stability for their families.”
 
In 2017, FCC started Parents Lead, a cohort-based program designed for financially-eligible parents of young children, which provides specialized curriculum, advising services, and funding to offset the costs of childcare. The College also recently started offering evening childcare hours at the Children’s Center for parents who attend evening classes.
 
The CCAMPIS project is funded by a grant from by the U.S. Department of Education and leveraged resources. Sixty-five percent (65%) of the total costs of this project over four years, or $164,360, will be financed by federal resources. The remaining costs ($88,961 or 35%) will be funded by other resources maintained by the College and the Frederick Community College Foundation.
 
For more information, contact Teri Bickel, Director of the Carl and Norma Miller Children’s Center at FCC, at 301.846.2612 or tbickel@frederick.edu.