Students Under 16 Years of Age Advising Information
Admission of Students Under 16 Years of Age
Students under the age of 16 who have been identified as having exceptional academic or fine arts talent may enroll in selected college courses at FCC.
- Students must be at least 12 years of age and have completed the seventh grade or equivalent education.
- Students must demonstrate exceptional academic or fine arts talent and be deemed able to adhere to the college’s standards of behavior.
- Students must submit the standard application for admission.
- Students may be required to submit documentation such as an official high school transcript, letters of recommendation, samples of student work, and/or evidence of meeting criteria of exceptional academic talent.
Enrollment Steps for Students Under 16 Years of Age
- Pre-Admission Interview: Students must complete a pre-admission screening interview with the Under 16 Academic Advisor.
- Apply to FCC: Students will submit an application for admission. There is no fee to apply.
- Complete Placement Testing: Students must meet the appropriate placement score or exemption for the courses in which they intend to enroll as outlined in the Academic Assessment and Placement Policy and Procedures. There is no fee for placement testing.
- Note: A photo ID, Student ID number, and a referral to the Testing Center (provided by the Under 16 Advisor) are required to take placement tests. Acceptable forms of ID include passport, student photo ID, MVA temporary photo ID, OR an original birth certificate plus two proofs of residence from the parent, such as a property tax bill, rental contract, or utility bill. Students may also use the ACCUPLACER Student ID Form for photo ID requirements.
- Learn More and Prepare for Placement Testing.
- Follow up with Under 16 Advisor: Once testing is complete, students must schedule a follow-up appointment with the Under 16 Academic Advisor.
- Complete Online Orientation
All students are required to complete our comprehensive online orientation.
- Register for Classes. Students enrolled in the Under 16 program will be limited to a maximum of two courses per semester, with continuance at the College based upon satisfactory performance in the previous semester.
- Students and Parents must complete the Under 16 Student Agreement Form in order to enroll in classes at FCC.
- Students must meet with the Under 16 Academic Advisor to register for classes until the student turns 16.
- Transcript evaluation must be no less than two weeks prior to the start of the semester for which the student seeks enrollment.
Schedule an Under 16 Advising Appointment
Open campus and homeschool students who are under 16 years-old taking classes at FCC should meet with the Under 16 Advisor. High School Based students and Early College applicants who are under 16 years-old are not required to meet with the Under 16 Advisor to register for classes. High School Based students should contact their high school counselor with any questions. Students applying to Early College can contact the Dual Enrollment Office at [email protected] with any questions.