Counselors and advisors offer guidance and support throughout the College experience, helping students identify plans, pursue aspirations, and achieve success. Counselors and advisors help students find solutions when problems arise, and celebrate accomplishments when challenges are overcome.
Working together, we support students in realizing their personal, academic, and career goals. We also connect students with information, tools, and resources that encourage self-directed learning.
All new students who are recent high school graduates are introduced to Counseling & Advising services during ROAR (Required Orientation, Advising, & Registration).
Counselors and advisors help students:
- Build an individualized plan for success
- Connect to College resources and services
- Define immediate objectives and broad academic goals
- Discover short-term and long-term career goals
- Ease the transition into life as a college student
- Prepare to enter the workforce
- Identify, foresee, and resolve challenges
- Transfer to a four-year college
Counseling & Advising Appointment Options
We recognize the distinctive and emerging needs of each FCC student and offer many ways for every individual to access the support needed for success.
are one-on-one meetings that take place in person. Meetings match expert advisors to student needs. Together, they plan for successes and collaborate to resolve individual challenges. Same day appointments are often available for 30 or 60 minutes, and students can select general or specialized services when using the online appointment scheduling tool.
Face-to-face appointments are best for:
- Students who need comprehensive support
- Students who are in complex or unusual situations
- Students who are facing new or unexpected challenges
- Students who are studying specialized academic areas
- Students who prefer to meet in person and allow ample time for discussion
is a dedicated FCC email account that receives student questions and routes them to the best staff member to help. This option is always available and is monitored during normal business hours. Advisors typically respond within 24-36 hours.
Quick Question Advising
is available in Jefferson Hall during normal business hours. Front-desk advisors provide instant answers to the most common student questions. This face-to-face service takes just a few minutes or less, and no appointment is required. General questions can be answered quickly, while situations that require appointments can be identified and quickly scheduled with the help of FCC staff.
Visit the Counseling and Advising office on the second floor of Jefferson Hall.
is an interactive video conference scheduled between student and advisor. This option is available by appointment during normal business hours and is best for students in unique situations that prohibit the ability to meet face-to-face.
Contact by email or use the online appointment scheduling tool.
Online Appointment Scheduling Tool – Services for Every Student
Open to all student who need assistance with general advising questions, course selection, change of major, academic planning, academic support, reviewing degree plan, discussing incoming transfer credits and reviewing testing results.
If you are a new student planning to attend FCC for your FIRST COLLEGE EXPERIENCE AND/OR A RECENT HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE, you must make your appointment using ROAR (New Student Orientation, Advising, & Registration). Please DO NOT make an appointment with General Advising if you fall into this category.
General Advising Appointment
- All students who are in any major or pursuing any academic goal
- Current FCC student or incoming transfer student
Athletic advising is for any student interesting in participating in intercollegiate athletics. FCC offers the following sports:
Athletic Advising Appointment
- Men – Baseball, Basketball and Soccer
- Women – Basketball, Soccer, Softball and Volleyball
- Select Rodney Bennett, on the drop down menu, for advising.
Under 16 Advising
Students who are under the age of 16 who place into college level courses and want to enroll in classes on FCC’s campus
Under 16 Advising Appointment
- Current or previously enrolled students who are under 16 should continue to make an appointment with an under 16 advisor.
- Under 16 advising appointments must select Monica Hutchins, on the drop down menu, for advising.
Students who are currently academically suspended, dismissed or on academic probation and/or have been suspended from financial aid and need assistance completing their academic plan
Success Advising Appointment
- Students returning from Academic Suspension must complete the Online Suspension Re-Entry Agreement Form.
- Students returning from Academic Dismissal must first meet with the Dean of Students before completing the Suspension Re-Entry Agreement Form and meeting with the Student Success Advisor.
- Financial Aid Appeal: Once an appeal has been approved by Financial Aid following a Financial Aid Suspension students must make an appointment with Success Advisor to complete an Academic Plan.
Career Advising is available to all current students, alumni of FCC, and prospective students who want assistance with exploring career options, navigating and researching careers and industries, and the job search process.
Career Advising Appointment
- Exploring career options best suited to individual strengths, interests, values, and personality
- Assistance with choosing a major and/or career direction
- Changing careers and/or jobs
- How to navigate the job search process and build a network of contacts
- Preparing for the job search through resume development and interview strategies
Assists students in planning & preparing to continue their education beyond FCC.
Transfer Advising Appointment
- Explore four-year college choices.
- Determine course requirements at your chosen four-year college.
- Navigate the admissions and application process.
- Students are welcome to meet with a general academic advisor for in-state (MD) transfer information, especially if you are just beginning your FCC coursework.
- If you have difficulty finding an available time, click on the General Advising Appointment link at the top of the page and select Christin McGill in the dropdown.
Health Science Advising
Meeting with the Allied Health and Nursing Advisor provides students with assistance selecting and planning their academic paths in the health care field, as well as preparing to apply to FCC's selective admission Respiratory Care, Surgical Technology, and Nursing programs.
Health Science Advising Appointment
- Prior to scheduling an individual appointment, attend an Allied Health Information Session for Nursing, Respiratory Care, or Surgical Technology. See the College calendar for upcoming dates. Search for “Information Sessions”.
- Plan semester-by-semester course work in preparation for applying to FCC's selective admission programs in Respiratory Care, Surgical Technology, and Nursing.
- Prepare for application and admission to FCC's dual admission Associate Degree in Nursing-to-Bachelor of Science in Nursing / RN-to-BSN partnership institutions -- Frostburg State, Towson, and the University of Maryland School of Nursing.
- Explore transfer options related to Respiratory Care, Surgical Technology, and Nursing.
- Students are also welcome to meet with any academic advisor.
- If you have difficulty finding an available time, click on the General Advising Appointment link at the top of the page and select Alissa Hart in the dropdown.
Short term assistance for personal issues affecting your ability to succeed in class including but not limited to:
- Mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.
- Crisis intervention for suicidal ideation, substance use disorders and sexual assault.
- Referral to community agencies and resources for students who have on-going, long-term or therapeutic counseling needs.
Virtual Advising Appointment
Interactive video conference scheduled between student and advisor.
Virtual Advising Appointment
- For current students who have attended FCC in the last two years who have general advising questions.
- Student must meet technical requirements including having a computer or device that enables microphone and video access.
- Must have a Photo ID or ID card during virtual advising appointment.
- Please schedule your Virtual Advising Appointment by selecting one of the following advisors on the drop down menu, for advising:
- Christina McGill, Jennifer Moore or Edward Wangler.
- Please indicate that this is a Virtual Advising Appointment in the Reason for Visit field.