Personal & Professional Development
The Center for Student Engagement provides opportunities for students to define and shape leadership skills, establish personal goals, and develop competency while contributing to College governance, campus life, and community enrichment.
Leadership Legacy & Advanced Leadership
Leadership Legacy This is a class for all students who are interested in developing their leadership skills, regardless of previous experience or involvement. The program is designed to give students an opportunity to develop their leadership skills on a personal, group, and community level. Through participation in the program, students will build a portfolio demonstrating their leadership skills and involvement and establish an excellent network of connections to students, College faculty and staff, and community members. Participants will learn more about themselves, and the skills they need to become better leaders.
Advanced Leadership This class will allow you to meet and interact with local leaders. Each week, a community member comes to class to share his/her journey of leadership. Student participants are able to share insights, ideas, and questions they may have with the community leaders. This class is a great way to incorporate into your life what is learned in Leadership Legacy, and at the same time see it in action.
For more information, and to apply to either or both classes, contact Kristi Mills in the Student Center, H-101, by email, or call 301.846.2488.
Recognition & Awards Ceremony
Celebration of achievement is one of our core values. Each May, at our annual Spring Recognition and Awards Ceremony, students are publicly recognized and lauded for academic achievement, volunteer service, and leadership. Students may earn distinction for their contributions through faculty or staff nominations and may be eligible for nomination to several internationally recognized honors and awards programs such as Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, Phi Theta Kappa International Honors Society, and the USA Today Academic All Americans. Click here for specific criteria for national honors
. Click here for a complete list of scholarships available.
Some awards given each year include:
• Dr. Patricia Stanley Excellence and Leadership Award
• Dr. Lee John Betts Student Leadership Award
• Marjorie Betts Citizenship and Family Award
• Dr. Henry P. and M. Page Laughlin Annual Distinguished Scholarship Award
• English Awards
• Social Science Awards
• History Award
• Award for Academic Excellence in the Business Transfer Curriculum
• Award for Academic Excellence in the Business Career Curriculum
• Career & Technology Awards
• Martin Kalmar Award for Academic Excellence in Mathematics
• Outstanding Education Awards
• Science Awards
• Language Awards
• Leadership Legacy/Advanced Leadership
• Student Service Awards, including the Gold Hammer, Gold Nail, and the United States Presidential Award.
• Club Awards